Tuesday, November 9, 2010

There's Always Money in the Hot Dog Stand

I've always loved stories of people who re-invented themselves mid-career...the stockbroker-turned-llama-farmer, the lawyer-turned-winemaker...and, being a somewhat unlikely CPA, I have always wanted a story like that for myself. Enter the hot dog stand. I think the original idea came from an offhand comment in the book "48 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Miller, one of my many sources of inspiration for quitting my job. The idea has definitely taken root. So much so that I might have created an Excel spreadsheet with net profit projections based on various inputs (i.e. price per dog, number of days worked per week, number of dogs sold per day, etc.) and researched the King County regulations and taxes that would apply. All in all, it seems like a surprisingly viable income-generating solution.

As silly as it sounds (and feels), having this simple business idea to fall back on gave me the final confidence push I needed to make the leap into unemployment.

No comments:

Post a Comment